Car Theft » Complaint Letter
Sample Complaint Letter And E-mail
Use the sample complaint below to draft a complaint letter or e-mail. You can also copy and paste your complaint into a company's "Contact Us" form.
When filing a complaint, keep these things in mind:
* Remain calm. The person who can help didn't cause the problem.
* Don't use an angry, threatening or sarcastic tone.
* State exactly what you want done about the problem.
* Document each step, and keep copies.
* Start with the seller first. You can resolve many problems by calling a company's toll free number. Even on the phone, you should know the details of the complaint. You can use the sample letter below to jot down a few notes before you call. If necessary, ask to speak to a manager.
* If that doesn't work, send a letter or e-mail to the manufacturer's national headquarters or consumer affairs office. Some experts suggest that a letter is the most effective method for contacting a company. If e-mails and phone calls don't work, try the old fashioned way.
* If the problem still isn't resolved, try your local consumer protection agency, Better Business Bureau or other helpful organization.
* If all else fails, consider filing a small claims suit or hiring an attorney.
Your City, State, Zip Code
(Your e-mail address if sending via e-mail)
Name of Contact Person (if available)
Title (if available)
Company Name Consumer Complaint Division (if you have no specific contact) Street Address
City, State, Zip Code
Dear (Contact Person):
Re: (account number, if applicable)
On (date), I (bought, leased, rented, or had repaired) a (name of the product, with serial or model number or service performed) at (location, date and other important details of the transaction).
Unfortunately, your product (or service) has not performed well (or the service was inadequate) because (state the problem). I am disappointed because (explain the problem: for example, the product does not work properly, the service was not performed correctly, I was billed the wrong amount, something was not disclosed clearly or was misrepresented, etc.).
To resolve the problem, I would appreciate your (state the specific action you want - money back, charge card credit, repair, exchange, etc.). Enclosed are copies (do not send originals) of my records (include receipts, guarantees, warranties, canceled checks, contracts, model and serial numbers, and any other documents).
I look forward to your reply and a resolution to my problem and will wait until (set a time limit) before seeking help from a consumer protection agency or the Better Business Bureau. Please contact me at the above address or by phone at (home and/or office numbers with area code).
Your name Enclosure(s)